Monday, July 15, 2013

Allergies

You may not know our struggle with allergies, or you may but just don't get it.  Well its been a journey for our family because let's face it we don't have the normal everyday allergies.

When Taylor was born I knew she had something. We nick-named her snot nosed baby. Shows you somethings wrong right?  Doctors don't do anything until they are 3 and have experienced all the seasons and their bodies can adjust. I applaud this because I'm sure we would have so many more wrongly diagnosed allergies. When she turned 3 the doctor said just give her over the counter chewable allergy pills she'll be fine.  Well that's not me.  Never has, never will. If you can't tell me exactly why I am doing something and the side effects are less then desirable as any good mother will attest I'm going to fight.  For kicks and giggles I went to the Mayo Clinic website to see what would happen if I gave this to my baby.

Oral antihistamines: are more likely to cause drowsiness and slow your reaction time. These sedating antihistamines shouldn't be taken when driving or doing other potentially dangerous activities.

Oral decongestants can cause a number of side effects, including irritability, fast or irregular heartbeat, dizziness, insomnia, headaches, anxiety, tremors, and increased blood pressure.

Oral corticosteroids (pills and liquids) are used to treat severe symptoms caused by all types of allergic reactions. Examples include prednisone (Prednisone Intensol) and prednisolone (Prelone, others). Because they can cause numerous short- and long-term side effects, oral corticosteroids are usually prescribed for short periods of time. Long-term use can cause cataracts, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, stomach ulcers and delayed growth in children

As a mother I am supposed to make this choice for my child because she doesn't know what that means yet. How was I supposed to explain to her when she was an adult with these side effects . . . 

Taylor: Mom, why do I have to have cataract surgery? Why do I have to take tums with every meal to control my ulcers, I wish I can run but my body is so weak.

Me:  Oh honey I just couldn't carry tissues around when you were little before you even complained about allergies so I started giving you allergy pills.  Then when you became immune to those but knew the benefits we had to step it up.  You had to start doing monthly shots to stabilize you. . . 

That's how my brain works. How was I supposed to help my childs quality of life? Without impairing her future quality of life? I had to become knowledgeable. I know Lily and I are allergic to tobacco and smoke so I figured those were in her make up but she was different it was so much worse.  So I took her in for the allergy test.  

Of course, we wake up the day of her test and she's fine. No runny nose anything.  It had been even a few days since she had even had noticeable issues. As a mom you then smack yourself . . .I'm over reacting, I'm submitting her to this and its going to be a wasted 3 hours. But alas, we walked into the office and her noses starts like a faucet. 

This is an allergy test if you have never seen one or know what they do. They take scratch sticks in groups of eight and scratch it with different common environmental allergens and you also state anything outside of the norm you are surrounded by. Then you wait for 15, 30, 60 minutes so they can see the severity of the allergy. I took this picture 30 seconds after they applied them. Fourth one in on the top row, tobacco. We knew that one walking in. That is considered a stage 3 reaction (out of 4). They measure the time it takes to react and the reaction size.  

Nothing else changed. Can I get a seriously!!!! That what I said to the doctor.  I went all mom with him (can you imagine it? If not let me help you . . . 

HOW THE HECK IS SHE NOT ALLERGIC TO ANYTHING LOOK AT HER THE MOMENT WE WALKED INTO YOUR OFFICE I MIGHT AS WELL HAVE SHOVED A KLEENEX BOX UP HER NOSE! AND HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE A SAFE HAVEN FOR PEOPLE WITH ALLERGIES WITH THESE CARDBOARD TISSUES! BY THE WAY WE'VE USED A BOX OF THEM SINCE WE WERE HERE! SHE WAS FINE AT HOME THEN WE GET HERE AND LOOK (I  grabbed the garbage can and showed him the amount of tissues we had used in 2 hours while sitting there watching VHS tapes) 

That my friends is when I saw the light bulb go off in this nice old mans head that I had completely lost my mind with.  And that's when he told me snot-nosed babies problem.  She had hyper active mucus membranes.  Her nose saw/smelled every chemical as a threat so his nice allergen free office that was bleached to keep it clean was causing her nose to go into over drive. 

This is when our journey really began and how do you test it? Life, that's how you test that sucker!  Our home had already become a safe haven for her which is why I was so confused. She would be fine, go to her dads come back as a snot factory the next day be fine . . . rinse repeat.  With doTERRA I had already changed our cleaning supplies I either made them or used the OnGuard cleaner.

My AH-HA moment came when we passed a skunk on the way to a craft store.  Owen and Lily were freaking out oh mom I'm going to die do you smell that oh my gosh MOM!!!! This whole time Taylor is just sitting there and then we get to Joanns and they have some scented display of pinecones or flowers and Taylor starts wigging out mom it smells!!!! And BAM look down and her nose is running.  

That is when I decided to try doTERRAs allergy blend with her. There's different methods to it and you have to find the one that works for you.

Equal parts Lemon, Lavender and Peppermint
1) Putting them on an inhaler and breathing them in
2) Putting them on the sinus reflex areas of your hands and feet 
3) Putting them in a shot glass of juice and swishing it around then swallow

Because of the snot issue breathing it in wasn't working so I decided to try them in a shot glass of juice. We all tried it with her so that it wasn't a big deal.  Ever tasted lavender? Tastes like you are licking a flower.  After trying it I thought she's never going to want to do this again.  But her nose cleared up.  The next morning her nose was running and she came to me and said mom can I have my allergy stuff? I was shocked.  Because she's so young and hasn't had issues for a long period of time she did it daily for 3-4 months and now she's immensely better.  We only do it occasionally and she asks for it when she needs it.  It usually fall on Sunday because everyone smells pretty. Thank heavens for doTERRA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment